Thursday, October 09, 2008




Hello from Johannesburg South Africa!!! The internet connection is painfully slow . Today was our first full day here and already it is such a powerful and emotional journey. Today a United Methodist pastor here in SA, but who also recently pastored a UMC church in Jackson Mississippi spoke to us about racial reconciliation and true integration of blacks and whites. He spoke about how after living for 4 years in the South he could see that even though 40 years ago we wrote laws to desegregate yet we are still very segregated..."This is where white people live, and this is where black people live. This is where white kids go to school and this is where black kids go to school. This is where white people shop and this is where black people shop." It really touched me because this is so true. He spoke about how we can have dieing churches of the same denomination across the street from each other but they will not join together in order to be a live vibrant church. He challenged us to consider the idea that a white man or woman could serve a black church or vice versa. I wept through much of his talk and they say tomorrow is the emotional day. I brought tissue paper here after learning in Israel that not all countries keep toliet paper handy, but i now realize the tissue paper will be for me running nose and watery eyes. Our history in the USA and particularly the south mirros much of what we have here. SA prayer they said has become that in 40 years of ending apartheid they will have come farther than where we are as a country.
On a lighter note, I have eaten some really good food. I tried Biltong- beef jerkyish, droewors- Slim Jimish, Samoosa- which I Love, is fried meat wrapped in a bread in the shape of a triangle, and Cook's Sista- not sure how to spell that, but a sweet syrupy fried bread and I had the best passion fruit ice cream!!!

Pictures are of me in front of the hotel SunnySide Park where we are staying and of me on a South African street in Pretoria surrounded by Jackaranda plants and a huge monument telling the Africaners story here.

The people have been so kind and I love the African understanding of "ubuntu" which is that we can only be or understand our humanity through recognizing others humanity. This is what has enabled so many to forgive the tremendous sins that took place here.
There is much hospitality here...I see now why Cheve is so generous and hospitable...its in her culture!!!


Much to learn here! Thanks to those of you helping me be here by loving my kids and teaching classes for me while I am gone!! XOXO

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Enjoyed your post and I look forward to learning more through your adventures!
Cindy

Stephanie said...

So glad you're learning so much (and enjoying the food).